Orders may be placed online. Charles Philip Shanghai gladly accepts Visa and MasterCard.
Once an order has been placed we are unable to make any modifications to the order, including cancellations.
The product will be hand made after the order is placed. We do our best to ensure sufficient stock of material for our custom made products. If we are out of stock on material of the product you've ordered, which may delay the date of shipment, we will notify you via email. The foregoing notwithstanding, most of our products are produced in limited edition or capsule collections and accordingly, some products may become unavailable without prior notice. Charles Philip Shanghai does not guarantee the availability of any product or style to is customers. In the event an order is placed for a product which is not available, you will be notified by customer service and issued a store credit to purchase alternative products.
Charles Philip Shanghai is happy to offer worldwide shipping of our hand-made shoes and products. We generously offer to assist our international customers by only requiring they pay 75% of the international shipping fee while we at Charles Philip Shanghai will personally incur the remaining 25%. The costumer is responsible for the payment of importing duties.
The products will be hand made in China after the order is placed. In order to protect the integrity of our Website and your personal information, all orders are processed through a fraud detection program which ensures the authenticity of all information submitted. All orders will be processed and shipped between 7-14 working days from the time the order is received by the Company.Please note that all orders must clear the fraud protection program, which may result in additional order processing delays. Charles Philip Shanghai is not responsible for any shipment delays caused by clearing times for orders passing through the fraud protection system.
INTERNATIONAL DUTIES & TAXES
Charles Philip Shanghai expressly waives all liability for any foreign duties or taxes incurred on shipments outside of PRC. Such costs and expenses shall be borne exclusively by the purchaser of products from our Website.
A tracking number will be emailed to you when your order ships. This tracking number will allow you to check on the delivery status of your order. You can also check the status of your order by logging into your account at store.charlesphilipshanghai.com
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
Shipping costs on returns will be exclusively borne by the purchaser of the product. Please email email@example.com notifying us of your desire to return your product(s) and we will arrange return shipment. Once received in-house we will deduct the return shipment fee from your original purchase and reimburse the remainder directly to you. Please note that Charles Philip Shanghai does not accept direct exchanges on international purchases. Instead, we require you follow the international return procedure described above and ask you to place a new order on the pair of shoes you desire as a replacement.
Please include the original packing in the box. Eligible items must be returned for exchange within 30 days of date of purchase. Please try shoes on a clean, carpeted area. We cannot accept returns of products with scuffed, marked, or worn soles. All accessories and items marked as “sale” or “on sale” are final.
All undeliverable packages will be returned to our office and please note that we are not able to automatically reship the package. Additional shipping costs will apply.
Orders for monogrammed and personalised items cannot be cancelled. Once placed, your order cannot be returned except when due to defect.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding sizing and custom orders.